One complication is that traits such as hair color are controlled by multiple genes. To determine the cumulative impact of multiple genes on one trait, the authors assumed they could simply add together the impact of individual genes. The female Neandertal known as Vi33.26, for example, had seven genes for brown eyes, one for “not-brown” eyes, three for blue eyes, and four for “not-blue eyes.” By the researchers’ reckoning, that means a six-gene balance in favor of brown and a negative balance for blue, so Vi33.26’s eyes were probably brown. According to this method, all three Neandertals had a dark complexion and brown eyes, and although one was red-haired, two sported brown locks.
Category Archives: vitamin D
Mass production of flint flakes at Palestinian Qassem Cave ··> Jerusalem Post, The Media Line, Ron Shimelmitz et al. at Journal of Human Evolution (PPV).
End of war allows dig to recover Paleolithic artifacts at Jaffna Peninsula (Ceylon) ··> Sri Lanka News.
Neolithic & Metal Ages:
|Elevation reconstruction of the tomb|
|The ‘map’ (click to expand)|
Conservation efforts for Göbekli Tepe ··> Popular Archaeology.
Heart-shaped Australian stone ring at Little River (Victoria) could be astronomical observatory ··> BBC.
|Figure 2. mtDNA Bayesian skyline plot showing the size trend of 4 East Eurasian populations.|
Other science news:
Solar system once had fifth gas planet, but was expelled ··> PhysOrg
Can primordial black holes be the elusive dark matter ··> PhysOrg.
2011 IgNobel prizes:
- Physiology: no contagious yawning for turtles.
- Chemistry: wasabi (pungent radish) fire alarm for heavy sleepers.
- Medicine: people make better and worse decisions when under pressure to go to the loo.
- Psychology: why do we sigh?
- Biology: beetles love beer bottles.
- Physics: why discus throwers get dizzy (and hammer ones do not)?
- Mathematics: to a long list of doomsayers who predicted the end of the World… and failed.
- Peace: smashing wrongly parked luxury cars with tanks in Vlinus, Lithuania.
- Safety: driving while a visor intermittently blocks your sight.
Can neutrinos be faster than light? ··> Nature.
Gonorrhoea becoming resistant to antibiotics ··> BBC.
Special thanks to (see also): Stone Pages’ Archaeo News.